Originally constructed in 1880 as the planing mill for a large lumber operation,140 Erie Boulevard is one of the few remaining buildings along the Boulevard that actually shipped and received goods. While the canal was in operation, this area was known as Dock Street.
Around the turn of the century, the building became home to C.S. Smith, a commercial grocer that also utilized the canal. Years later, Joseph Grosberg purchased the building, and in 1930 partnered with Lewis Golub to build a state-of–the-art warehouse for the commercial grocery operation that would later become Price Chopper.
With the infill of the Erie Canal and the increasing popularity of the automobile, Erie Boulevard once again emerged as a major commercial corridor. In the 1960s, the Liss family purchased the property and ran a successful appliance business, with close ties to General Electric.
Today, 140 Erie Boulevard is owned by Urban Initiatives Group. The building is being renovated into customizable upscale rental space for local businesses and restaurants.